The Camargue cross is an emblem formed with a Latin
cross whose upper ends represent a three-pronged fork ( a working tool
used by "gardians" (cowboys) ) and whose lower end is a sea anchor
topped by a heart.
It stands for the three cardinal virtues :
The cross for faith
The anchor for hope
The heart for charity
The Camargue cross was created by the painter and sculptor Hermann Paul in 1924 at Marquis of Baroncelli's request. The first one, forged in 1930 by G?d?on Blati?re was put in Saintes Maries de la Mer, near the Maure bridge not far from the Simbeu farmhouse where the Marquis of Baroncelli used to live. Today, it is still there.